Unbeknownst to many, breast cancer in females has shown the fastest increase over the past decade across the UAE. According to the UAE Cancer Incidence’s annual report. In 2020, 1030 cases of breast cancer were diagnosed in the UAE women alone.
However, with early diagnoses and awareness, doctors predict it can help substantially improve survival rates by as much as 93%.
Let’s go through some quick and fundamental facts to help foster a better understanding of this issue.
What exactly is Breast Cancer?Breast Cancer is a type of cancer that develops in breast cells, usually starting in the milk ducts or lobules. It can occur in both men and women, although the chances are much higher in women. The disease can manifest as a malignant tumor or as abnormal cell growth within the breast tissue.
What are the Signs and Symptoms?Knowing the signs and symptoms is crucial for early detection. Common indicators include:
- A new lump in the breast or armpit.
- Changes in breast shape, size or appearance.
- Nipple discharge or skin changes such as redness, flakiness or dimpling.
- Pain or swelling in any part of the breast.
What are the Treatment Options for Breast Cancer?
- Surgery is often done to help cut out the cancerous cells from spreading.
- Chemotherapy uses medicine such as special pills or injections that help shrink or kill the cancer cells.
- Hormonal therapy is used to slow down or block out specific hormones that help the growth of cancerous cells.
- Mammograms/ Radiation therapy uses high doses of radiation to help kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. The term radiation often shocks people but at lower doses, radiation is actually used in X-Rays to see inside your body whenever you have any broken bones or teeth.
- Biological therapy is also an option that fights with your body’s immune system to help fight cancerous cells and helps control any side effects from the previous cancer treatments mentioned.
What are the prevention and lifestyle changes needed?
- Regular screenings are one of the greatest ways to lower your risk of cancer because it can detect the cancer at its weakest. Women over the age of 40 are encouraged to do so as the risk of breast cancer increased with age.
- Exercise is also a great aid in strengthening prevention. Being physically active lowers your risk by helping you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. It also helps reduce any possible complications from surgery and helps with undergoing treatment better.
- Limiting and quitting alcohol and smoking is one of the most popular prevention methods. Alcohol and smoking can aggravate and damage cells that can cause uncontrolled cell division which aids in the growth of cancerous tumors.
What Pinktober events are taking place in the UAE?
- Pink Caravan
- IGNITE Pink is Punk
- ADCB Pink Run
- Liht Organics
The Friends of Cancer Patients non-profit organization launched the Pink Caravan which is a mobile clinic offering people on-site free screenings and expert medical assistance all across the UAE.
Feel free to browse Pink Caravan schedules.
This October, IGNITE is collaborating with Al Jalila Foundation to launch the ‘Pink is Punk’ initiative. They will be hosting multiple charity activities to encourage people to register for swim races, yoga and paddle boarding, to help raise money and support breast cancer research and treatment.
If you’re interested in participating, check out their dates and times.
On October 21st, the ADCB partnered with Danat Al Emarat Hospital to donate proceeds from the annual marathon event to Al Jalila Foundation to further support Breast Cancer Initiatives.
Make sure to look through their event details to find out more.
This October, Liht Organics is partnering with Zulekha Hospital to organize free screenings and consultations, as well as masterclasses to help educate people on cancer-causing chemicals in makeup products.
The masterclasses take place October 7th, 13th and 27th at FACES in Mall of the Emirates, Dubai Hills Mall and Yas mall in Abu Dhabi, specifically from 2pm to 3pm. While Zulekha Hospital will continue to offer free screenings throughout October and November.
By educating ourselves and spreading awareness for signs, symptoms and prevention methods, we can contribute to early detection. Each contribution matters whether big or small to help battle against breast cancer and potentially save lives.
Quick Tips from Certified Doctors.
If you’d also like to wear or buy anything pink to represent the cause, feel free to browse our pink products. Buy any pink item in-store and get 50% off mammograms, ultrasounds, plus a complimentary consultation at The American Hospital.
Stay safe, well and strong!